Assistance categories

Some assistance services are available only through Job Support funding, while others are available through both Job Support and Training Support funding.

Job Support funding is very flexible, so ask Workbridge if you would like to be considered for a type of assistance not listed below.

For more detailed information about the assistance available through Job Support funding, see the MSD Job Support Fund Operational Guidelines - July 2018.

Job Support assistance categories 

You can apply for Job Support funding for the following types of assistance:

Awareness training

Awareness training gives staff information about the most appropriate and effective way to fully integrate a disabled new employee into the workplace.

Job coach

A job coach provides intensive short-term coaching when you start work, or when your job description has changed and you need new or different skills.

Job coaches are independent contractors contracted by the person receiving Job Support, not employees of Workbridge.

Productivity allowance 

A productivity allowance is a wage subsidy available to your employer while you gain skills and establish the type of support that would available to anyone starting a new job.

If a productivity allowance follows on from a Work and Income wage subsidy, the total amount paid in a 52-week period can’t be more than $16,900 for Job Support, Training Support and the Work and Income subsidy.

A productivity allowance is only considered after all other support services have been provided.

To qualify for a productivity allowance, your job can be full-time or part-time. You must:

  • be in open employment, which means that anyone could apply for the job and it is not reserved for a person with a disability
  • be in a job that meets minimum terms and conditions of employment, such as paying the minimum wage and having an employment contract
  • not be receiving government funding, such as another Work and Income subsidy, for the same activity.

You’re expected to go on to gain or retain unsubsidised employment in the business, and your employment can’t depend on you having a productivity allowance. Employers can’t rely on a productivity allowance to keep their businesses viable.

All productivity allowances have a fade out plan. The subsidy reduces by 5% every six months, as you become more established in your job.

This is to ensure funds continue to be available for other disabled people entering the workforce or getting a new job.

Special induction training after placement into work

Training is available for extra disability-related training. If you’re blind, for example, you might need orientation training to find your way around the workplace.

Job Support and Training Support assistance categories

You can apply for either Job Support or Training Support funding for the following types of assistance:


If you’re applying for equipment, a support person, a job coach or a productivity allowance, you may need to be assessed by someone who understands your disability and can make recommendations about the help you need.

We may ask you to have an assessment if you apply for assistance with transport.

Workbridge will discuss the need for an assessment and make the arrangements. Your available support funds will pay for your assessment.

The assessment is usually carried out at work. You’ll be able to have some input into this process.


Disability-related workplace equipment can include office furniture designed or adapted for your disability, or adaptive software for accessibility.

Support funds don’t pay for consumables or repairs. In some cases, you may be asked to pay part of the cost of equipment.

If you receive support funds for equipment, the equipment remains your property.

Interpreter services

Funding for interpreter services gives Deaf and hearing-impaired people access to a qualified New Zealand Sign Language Interpreter.

Support person

A support person can help you carry out your daily work tasks, such as the parts of your job that you can’t do because of your disability.

Support people are independent contractors contracted by the person receiving Job Support, not employees of Workbridge.


Support funds can pay for your transport if you have mobility difficulties and public transport is not accessible.

The standard cost of travel for your journey will be deducted from any funds given to you.

Workplace modification

Support funds can be used to pay for any modification you need to gain or retain a job. In some cases, you may be required to make a contribution towards the cost of the modification.

The funding is used mainly for furniture and fittings, which you can take with you when you leave.

For furniture and fittings that can’t be moved, ask Workbridge about Modification Grant funding.