Job Support funding

If you have a disability and meet the criteria, Job Support funding can help you move into work or stay in your job.

Job Support funding is also available to people who are self-employed. More than one category of assistance can be included on a single application.

People working in the state sector can apply for Job Support funding, provided their employer has met the State Sector Act 1988’s ‘good employer’ obligations.

If you work for an organisation that receives funding from any other government source to provide job opportunities, you generally will not be eligible for support funding. However, applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

If you’re given Job Support funding, you’ll be expected to eventually move into unsubsidised employment.

Applying for Job Support funding

Download a Job Support application form here:

You can fill in the application form online but must print it out and sign it.

Once you have filled out the application form, you can:

  • post it to Workbridge’s Support Fund Services at PO Box 30-341, Lower Hutt 5040
  • scan the form and email it to Support Fund Services
  • deliver it to any Workbridge centre.

Employment criteria

1. Working for an employer

To be eligible for Job Support funding if you are working for an employer, your job must:

  • be in open employment, which means anyone can apply for the job and the job is not reserved for a person with a disability
  • have an employment contract that sets out your conditions of employment, including your pay rate and the hours you work (as defined in the Employment Relations Act 2000)
  • pay at least the minimum wage, or a rate that would be paid to someone without a disability doing the same type of job. This criteria also applies if you’re paid a piece rate or commission.

2. Self-employment

To be eligible for Job Support funding if you are self-employed, you must:

  • receive the net returns of the business
  • work at least 20 hours per week in the business
  • receive a wage or salary that a person without a disability would receive from doing the same job. The minimum wage criteria applies if the job would normally attract an entry wage
  • be running a business that is not a hobby-type operation.

3. Group cooperatives

To be eligible for Job Support funding if you are in a group cooperative:

  • people with disabilities must control the business and be its primary decision-makers. The business cannot be controlled by a support agency
  • net returns must be distributed to members of the cooperative.

Job retention

You may also be eligible for Job Support if you already have a job and are concerned that you may not be able to keep it because you have developed a disability or have an existing condition that has changed.

Work-related training

If you need training to keep your current job, you may be eligible for Job Support funds to pay your disability-related costs.

Mainstream employment programme

The Mainstream employment programme is a government-funded programme that finds two-year job placements for people with disabilities.

If you are in a Mainstream programme, you are not eligible for Job Support funding.

The Mainstream programme’s Cost of Disability in Employment (CODE) support fund is equivalent to Job Support. For more information, or to contact the Mainstream programme, visit the Ministry of Social Development.