Job Support funding
If you have a disability or a health condition and meet the Support Funds eligibility criteria, Job Support funding can help you move into work or stay in your job. Refer to Assistance Categories for a summary of the supports available.
Job Support is available for people in employment or self-employment.
Working for an employer
If you are, or will be, in employment, your job must:
- be in open employment, which means anyone can apply for the job and the job is not reserved or created for a person with a disability
- have an employment contract that sets out your conditions of employment, including your pay rate and the hours you work (as defined in the Employment Relations Act 2000)
- pay at least the adult minimum wage, or a similar rate of pay that would be paid to someone without a disability doing the same type of job. These criteria also applies if you’re paid a piece rate or commission.
People working in the state sector can apply for Job Support funding, provided their employer has met the State Sector Act 1988’s ‘good employer’ obligations.
If you work for an organisation that receives funding from any other government source to provide job opportunities, you generally will not be eligible for support funding. However, applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To be eligible for Job Support funding if you are self-employed, you must:
- receive the net returns of the business
- provide at least 15 hours personal effort in the business each week
- receive a wage or salary that a person without a disability would receive from doing the same job. The minimum wage criteria applies if the job would normally attract an entry wage
- be running a business that is not a hobby-type operation.
You may also be eligible for Job Support if you already have a job and need support because either:
- you have acquired a disability or health condition; or
- the impacts of a current disability or health condition have changed
For detailed information, please see the guidelines:
Job Support Funds Operational Guidelines July 2018